Friday, September 11, 2009

Useless Baby Products


Useless Baby Products



This is just because there are too many unnecessary things sold out there that are targeted to the first time mom who doesn’t want to forget to get anything essential. These things are usually overpriced and/or not essential.

1. Dreft Laundry Detergent. I know a baby’s skin is sensitive but they are still human and they can use laundry detergent that costs less. All Free and Clear and Tide make perfume less dye less detergents for less $$. Plus Dreft doesn’t even smell that good.


2. Bottled Water called Nursery Water that they sell at Babies r us. As if your baby needs special water only made for babies. Are you kidding me? Any filtered water is fine.


3. Bassinets. They can be used until baby rolls over and you need a crib or Pack N Play anyway. They are also too bulky to store in a closet and can cost way over $100. I would say this could be used for a maximum of 3 months depending on the size of your baby. There are a lot of products that may only last 3-5 months but they are not so costly.


4. Steam Sterilizers. You can sterilize just about everything in boiling water for five minutes and then you can wash by hand or put in the dishwasher.


5. Bottle Warmers. All I have to say is WHY? What will you do when your baby is used to warmed formula or breastmilk and you are out and about? Too much hassle when most babies are fine with room temperature formula and fresh breastmilk. Many even don’t mind it cold out of the fridge. To me it just means less $ spent and less time baby cries because you don’t have to sit and wait for the warmer to work AND make the bottle.


6. Bottle Drying Racks. I never had one of these because I used the Playtex Drop Ins and only had to wash the nipples. But all my friends that used them told me they just collects dust and the bottles don’t dry completely making you have to clean them again AND wash the drying rack. (As if you needed more things to clean)

That’s what I’ve got for now. Feedback on what you think is a Baby Unessential will be posted as well.

2 comments:

  1. I don't see the point in baby bathtubs. I always bathed my baby in the kitchen sink until he was old enough to sit in the big bathtub. I was glad to never have to worry about cleaning a little bathtub as well as the big one. :)

    Also--this one might seem weird, but--diaper rash cream. I never used anything but vaseline, and rashes always went away quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the bathtubs even though I have one. They are very bulky to store and you use them for such a short time. We are marketed to think we need everything special as if you are about to have another species living in your home. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Crazy Hip Blog Mamas
Powered By Ringsurf
BLOGbal